Many families in Sandwell could be eligible for free school meals but do not claim for them.
Why should I apply?
The cost of school meals is currently valued at over:
£360 for one child
£720 for two children
£1,080 for three children
£1,440 for four children
Schools can also attract Government funding for pupils who are eligible for Free School Meals. This money can be spent on a number of interventions that contribute towards the best possible outcomes for our students.
Who is eligible?
Children whose parent/legal guardian receive any of the following may be entitled to free school meals:
- Income Support
- Universal Credit – with a household net income of less than £7,400 a year
- Job Seekers Allowance – Income Based Only
- Employment and Support Allowance – Income Related Only
- Pension Credit – Guaranteed Element (Including Child Tax Credit)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit only – with an annual income of less than £16,190(NOT including Working Tax Credit)
- Support from the National Asylum Support Service
How do I Apply?
Currently, all new applications for Free School Meals should be completed online via the following link:
If successful, the Local Authority will contact us directly to inform us of your child’s eligibility.
If your child is eligible or becomes eligible for free school meals at any time before 31 March 2022, they will remain eligible until this date or beyond (until the end of their secondary education).
Please note – if your child was previously eligible for FSM at a school outside the Sandwell Local Authority, a new application will be required to Sandwell. There is no need to reapply if you child is already registered as FSM at Wood Green Academy.