What does Sports College status mean to the Academy and the community?
- We develop sport in our community and currently support a number of community sports clubs
- We lead on national initiatives relating to sport
- We employ extra PE teachers and sports technicians
- We host a School Games Organiser and are the lead school in Sandwell for the national Health and Well-Being programme
- We run an Enrichment programme for all Year 7 and 8 students
- We work directly with National Governing Bodies for Sport
- We accept 25 students each year based on sporting aptitude
- We add to our facilities and equipment: in recent years we have had a new sports hall extension completion with new floor and lights throughout as well as new cricket and table tennis facilities. Our sprung gym floor has just been replaced and we are currently in the process of carrying out development work on our pitches
- We arrange sporting events and competitions
- We chair the Black Country School Games
- We employ specialist coaches who are all local people
We hope that by these means we will be able to enhance involvement in sport and sporting excellence in our school and in the wider community. Most particularly we hope to promote that enjoyment of sport and physical recreation which leads to ongoing involvement and a more healthy and active community. We now have a number of sports that are part of our “Club Wood Green” banner. These include football, volleyball, table tennis, cricket, rugby, martial arts, dance, gymnastics (including trampolining) and climbing. We also host satellite netball, boxing and judo clubs.
Although the range of sports we are involved in is very wide, our traditional ‘big’ sports like football, netball and athletics continue to have real importance. We also focus on gymnastics (including tampolining) table tennis, dance and health and well-being.
We have a particular mission for developing these sports. Although there is a specific focus on sport we still hold absolutely to our belief in striving for the very best possible academic outcomes. We believe that a happy and successful involvement in sport can be a very positive way of raising achievement in all aspects of school life. Our elite performers receive lifestyle support and guidance.