Every year, during the month of June the LGTBQ+ communities celebrate Pride all around the world!
Pride Month is a celebration designed to recognise the influence of the LGBTQ+ community. Celebrating diversity and people’s right to live how they choose without discrimination, Pride Month promotes positivity and equal rights for all.
Pride Month is celebrated every year in June, as this marks the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. These were a series of equal rights demonstrations held by members of the LGBTQ+ community against oppression. This was in response to violent police raids on LGBTQ+ establishments in New York in June 1969.
Pride Month 2021
Due to the coronavirus, events for Pride Month 2021 will mostly be taking place online. Artists, musicians, comedians and more will be putting on performances and hosting talks and workshops.
Kooth – Raising awareness and support this month for young people from the LGBTQ+ community. Kooth is a transformational digital mental health support service. It gives young people easy access to an online community of peers and a team of experienced counsellors.
Stonewall – Information and support for LGBT communities and their allies.
Contact Stonewall’s Information Service FREEPHONE 0800 0502020 Lines are open 9:30 – 4:30 Monday to Friday.
Jigsaw – supporting LGBT+ young people
EACH- helpline for LGBT+ young people who’ve experienced bullying
https://each.education/ 0808 1000 143
How to celebrate in a social distance manner
1) Attend a virtual Pride parade or organise a zoom call with friends to celebrate!
2) Donate to a local or national LGBTQ+ organisation – this can be easily done online!
3) Educate yourself on the History and the importance of Pride Month
4) Wear a rainbow to show your support – be creative!
5) Read a book by a LGBTQ+ author or listen to a podcast! There are plenty to choose from over on the Kooth Podcasts