Wood Green Academy is an oversubscribed, co-educational Comprehensive School and Specialist College of Sport, Maths and Computing for pupils aged 11 to 18 years. It is a 12 form entry with a yearly intake of some 256 pupils from local primary schools.
In September 2016 there will be about 1500 pupils in the school of whom approximately 250 will be in the Sixth Form (Years 12/13). There are over 100 members of teaching staff and an extensive supportive administrative, technical and site management staff.
The school was formed in 1968 by the amalgamation of Wednesbury Boy’s High School (1924) and Wood Green County Secondary Modern School (1963). The original buildings have had extensive additions. The 1970’s saw an Administration Block opened, containing a Learning Resource Centre and Computer room, a practical wing with an Art Suite, Technology workshops and Textile room, and a Music Suite. More recently ICT Suites have been added. The Reading Room, funded by a generous donation from the Old Wodens – “old boys” of the school, was opened in 1993. Our original Sports Hall was built in 1995. These developments, together with modifications to the existing buildings to upgrade accommodation for Science, Food Technology and Drama mean that the school is well equipped in all departments.
From September 1998 Wood Green High School became a specialist Sports College, an Investor in People organisation and achieved the National Sportsmark award. In September 2000 a State of the Art information technology suite was installed with funding from Wednesbury Education Action Zone. In September 2002 we were awarded Beacon Status as well as achieving Artsmark Gold and Sportsmark Gold awards. In September 2004 we became a Leading Edge School. In April 2011 the school was awarded Academy status this making it independent of the Local Authority. In September 2012, Wood Green Academy became a Teaching School. It was one of the first 100 schools in the country.
The school was formed in 1968 by the amalgamation of Wednesbury Boy’s High School (1924) and Wood Green County Secondary Modern School (1963).
The Hughes Block and Sports Hall Extension
Our most recent teaching block, the Hughes Block, and the Sports Hall extension were completed in September 2007, giving the school state-of-the-art facilities for our students. The Hughes Block houses the English and Maths departments and three Science laboratories as well as a brand new Sixth Form Centre for our 220+ year 12 and 13 students. This also includes an ICT facility to support research and self-study. In addition, there is a conference room which is enabling the school to develop further its role as a specialist Sports, Maths and Computing College, Teaching School and as a Leading Edge Partnership School.
All the classrooms have interactive whiteboards and network facilities. In both the Maths and English departments, one room has a “Class watch” facility which supports teacher training and staff development. In addition, both departments have two classrooms with a connecting folding wall allowing large group teaching/lecturing to take place. This new block was designed with sustainability and flexibility in mind, and will effectively support the school’s continued development of teaching and learning as we embrace further the new technologies of the 21st Century.
The Sports Hall has a sprung floor throughout, a community room, a tumbling track for the tumblers and facilities for pole vaulting. Both the school and the community are able to benefit from the new facilities and support our aspiration to develop future athletes for the Olympic Games in 2020