My Child Is Nervous About Transferring To The Academy
How Do You Help ?
All pupils are understandably anxious about such a big change. We aim to remove as many ‘unknowns’ as possible. By welcoming new pupils into our school community over a period of months we reduce the suddenness and upheaval of the transfer. Children can be expected to make full use of the opportunities we offer them only when they feel comfortable and secure. We believe our programme of links with Primary Schools enables the children to look forward eagerly to joining the Academy and helps them to settle in quickly.
- Our curriculum link staff make visits throughout the year to our main partner primary schools. They meet the pupils, see their work and liaise with Year 6 teachers on a variety of cross-phase curriculum projects.
- The Year Leader and Student Support Manager for Year 7 visit Partner Primary Schools to discuss individual pupils with their Year 6 teachers and to collect information on their academic ability, sporting achievements and pastoral needs. These details help us place your child in the most appropriate set for lessons and ensure our caring influence can match your child’s needs.
- Year 6 pupils visit Wood Green Academy for Induction Days during the Summer Term. They meet other pupils in their form and their Form Tutor. They are given a tour of the school, experience a range of taster lessons and complete a Reading Age test.
- A number of cross phase activities linked with Sports, Maths and Computing College and Creative Arts Partnership show the standards of our enrichment programme.
- Summer activities are organised for house groups.
- We invite parents of Year 6 pupils to Wood Green Academy for Parent/Pupil Partnership Day in the first term in September and Progress Evening in July. We issue a brochure, a prospectus and a Handbook to give parents as much information as we can.
- Year 7 pupils’ views on the Induction Programme are canvassed each year to ensure that transfer arrangements are meeting the pupils’ needs.
“A number of cross phase activities linked with Sports, Maths and Computing College and Creative Arts Partnership show the standards of our enrichment programme.”
What Further Information Is Available To Parents?
Further information is available here or on request from the school office. The full range of school policies include the following:
|Antibullying Policy||Health and Safety Policy|
|Assessment and Marking Policy||Homework Policy|
|Attendance Policy||Literacy Policy|
|Behaviour Policy||Policy for the wearing of Religious Ceremonial Wear|
|Child Protection Policy||Policy for supporting children with Medical Needs|
|Compliments and complaints Policy||Raising Achievement Policy|
|Drugs Policy||Sex and Relationship Policy|
|Equal Opportunities Policy||Special Educational Needs Policy|
|Examination Entry Policy||Teaching and Learning Policy|
Information & Downloads
|Category:||New to Wood Green|
|Date:||April 26, 2018|
|Category:||New to Wood Green|
|Date:||July 20, 2017|